Vinyl Replacement Windows
Installing replacement vinyl windows is considered as satisfying Do-It-Yourself project that can be carried out even if you don’t have any specialized equipment. All you need is basic tools for tackling this task and you can save so much money. Initially the project might seem difficult and complicated but later on using the right measurements the replacement project will go smoothly.
Thorough evaluation prior to starting this project is very important of the existing window i.e. whether it is rotted or not or out of square. In case of a rot, or if the window is out of square, you will need assistance from a professional in order to reframe the opening. If you are not experienced with the framing and structuring then leave this work for the professional. On the other hand, if there is no problem window frame is in good shape then the task will be so easy like installing the vinyl insert and then attaching it to the frame.
You must take measurements carefully as accuracy is required while measuring the interior height and width of every window frame side to side as well as top to sill so that you can install vinyl windows properly. For accurate measurement triple check your readings so that window fits properly, normally measurements match with a standard size vinyl window, in the mill work department there is customer service to assist you find the right window.
Measurements are must when you order the vinyl window replacements. The cost may vary from manufactures to manufacturer as well as it depends on required features. Keep in mind while ordering the windows that your chosen design must match with other windows of your home as well as choose the windows with insulated and Low E glass. When you plan on changing all the windows of your home then change the style as it is the right time.
Once you have double checked the measurements as well as everything reached safely and nothing broke in shipment. If you do things one at a time then the job of installing every replacement will be done thoroughly. As replacement windows install takes place from the inside, so make sure there is enough space in the house for accomplishing this task.
Follow this step by step guide and install vinyl replacement windows:
- The next step is prying the inside stop off and keep these to use them again when completed. You can use pliers to remove the nails from the trim and instead of pushing just pull them for neat look.
- The lower window sash must be removed too.
- Apply force to parting stop, you will not be using the piece of trim again so if it breaks nothing to worry about.
- The top sash must be removed.
- After removing the sash liners and springs and if you have pulleys and weights remove all these and then use fiberglass insulation for stuffing the pockets.
- Now push the vinyl unit into its place, it should be tight against the outside stop. Also drive the mounting screws into the sides, remember that these screws are included in a small package with the new window.
- If there is need of vinyl trim pieces then install them then for a neat finish caulk around the outside.
- On the inner side reinstall the parting stop.
Finally, you must take out some time and admire your own work, and achievement that you did the replacements yourself. In this way you will save money in two ways i.e. by doing the installation of the windows yourself, and cutting down the energy expenses.